Mushroom Biriyani is another creation of Chef Shankar. Served together with the Cabbage Kofta, this vegetarian meal would satisfy even the hungriest carnivore. Several varieties of mushrooms were used including Shiitake, Crimini, and White Button Mushrooms which when combined give the dish a nice satisfying texture and bite. The rice is flavored with biriyani pulav masala which can be bought in any Indian grocery store, and garnished with bright green onion. Unlike the typical slow cooked biriyani, this one was put together in a flash.
15 mushrooms (5 of each variety, and 2-3 shiitake), 2 cups basmati rice, 1 tbsp of biriyani pulav masala, ghee, salt and pepper to taste, green onion chopped
1. Cook the rice, with 3 cups of water.
2. Clean and slice the mushrooms.
3. Heat a few tbsp of ghee on medium high heat, and saute the mushrooms. Add salt & pepper.
4. Once the rice is cooked, mix in the mushrooms. Add the masala powder and salt and mix together.
5. Garnish with chopped green onion.