1 Golden Delicious apple, 2 tbsp. powdered sugar, 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1 cup all-purpose flour, 2 tbsp. melted butter, ½ tsp. salt, 2 tsp. baking powder, 2 tbsp. sugar, ¾ cup milk
1. Peel and core the apple. Slice it into rings ⅛″ thick.
2. Mix the melted butter and the dry ingredients for the batter. Add the milk, stirring until a thick batter forms.
3. Dip each apple-ring into the batter,and fry in butter, flipping once, until golden brown.
4. Transfer the fritter onto a paper towel to blot up any excess oil. Dust with the cinnamon-sugar while still hot.
2 cups Frozen Mixed Berry Mix, 1 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tbsp sugar, 1/4 cup honey, lemon zest, 1 tsp grated ginger, 1/2 tsp mace, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, pinch of salt, 1 tbsp butter, 1/2 cup spiced rum (optional)
1. Combine all the ingredients and bring to a simmer on medium heat approx 15-20 minutes.
Shankar served the fritters, dusted with icing sugar, and topped with the fruit sauce.
Verdict: The plates were licked clean.