Tomato Chutney is such a wonderful thing. I especially love the South Indian version that my m-in-law taught me.
mustard seeds, asafoetida, curry leaves, tomatoes (1 can or fresh equivalent chopped), turmeric, chili powder, tamarind, fenugreek, oil.
1. Splutter mustard seeds, a pinch of asafoetida, and curry leaves in oil.
2. Add tomatoes (either fresh or canned diced), 2 tsp of turmeric, and 2 tsp of red chili powder.
3. Add the strained juice of a 1" ball of tamarind soaked in water.
4. Add ground, roasted fenugreek seeds.
5. Cook this until the oil separates from the tomatoes.
My husband introduced me to this combination - Thakali Thokku and COTTAGE CHEESE! I kid you not, it is soooo good!